Welcome to the Murray Family Blog! Please leave a comment, the Kids love to see who is watching them grow!!

Friday, March 19, 2010

Coupons - this one's for you Alyce!


So, most of you know that I have cut to 30 hours a week at work and have been looking for ways to stay home. Coupon shopping has help. Today I spent $45.73 for $170.74 worth of groceries. On top of the sale prices I used $47 in paper coupons. I got 71 items which made them about $0.65 each. This comes to 73% savings or $125. Despite what Jason thinks it was for stuff that we do use and I do still buy things that he wants(when he tells me what he wants). He really thinks I am insane for taking this picture. But I have been telling some of you how it works and wanted you to see it. This is what I got today (and no it didn't take me all day to organize. I put Jax in the tub and sat on the floor and cut them out while he played, so I could watch him and still feel productive.)

*16 bottles of Powerade $0.25 each - Ashlee drinks one with each game/practice and they don't expire until November - I will most likely go get some more when they restock.
*6 bottles 2 liters of Sprite $0.25 each - Jaxon loves Sprite (I found coupons off of boxed potato's for $1 of 2 coke products)
*2 bottles 2 liters of Diet Coke $0.25 each -
*4 packs of bumble bee tuna - I made $0.05 on each - (sale price $0.50 coupon $0.55)
*8 packages of spaghetti noodles $0.49 each - used almost weekly
*4 boxes of Kellogg's cereal $1.49 per box- used daily - Plus these had coupons inside the box for $5 more in savings for later
*2 gallons of milk - $1 each - used daily - (I had a coupon from the cereal box last time that if you bought 2 boxes of cereal you got a $1 off milk.)
*1 box of Kroger Tampons - Free - had a free coupon from the store printer so I used it.
*2 Stouffers hoggie sandwiches - $1.25 each- Jason takes these to work sometimes.
*5 3.5lbs bags of Purina one cat food - $1.49 a bag - I usually don't buy the expensive brand of cat food but this was a better savings than buying the cheep stuff. I usually buy the 16 oz bag for $9-$12 per bag. This is 17.5 lbs for 7.45.
*6 bags of potato chips $1.25 each - They don't expire until May.
*3 bottles of salsa -$1.25 each - I use it in exchange for tomato sauce and veggies for cooking. - (I found tear pad coupons for $3 off if you bought 2 bags of chips and 1 salsa)
*2 lunchables - $0.24 each - Ashlee likes these after school and before practices.
*1 lint brush - free
*2 boxes of wheat spaghetti - both free
*1 bottle of wesson oil - $0.99
*4 boxes of pasta noodles - $0.25 each
*1 garlic bread - $2.19 - my most expensive item for dinner tonight.
*1 20 oz diet pepsi $1.25


In my Walgreen's trip I got 5 large boxes (5.8 oz) of Colgate Total advanced clean toothpaste. I paid $16.25 with tax and received $20 in register rewards to use towards other things, so basically I got 5 boxes free and made $3.75.

I also received $20 this week in the mail from mail - in rebates.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Ok, so when I come down in a few weeks, We need to have a little sit down and Ill cut all the same coupons as you and you show me this again. Becuase I've been trying (and saving some $$$) but ovbiously not like you. So i need help.

Charlie said...

Pretty dang good!
I've noticed I don't save as much mainly because I don't buy much of what's on sale/coupons. But once in a while I get really lucky like that! (I love it when I get 4 packs of yogurt for 50 cents..wahoo!)
I wish they had coupons for fresh veggies and fruit...I buy tons of that stuff. That's where I could use it. :(